Sunday, April 1, 2007

Observations of Photo

This photograph Two Bulldozers by Phillip Mazaud is a black and white shot, taken at night. The focal point of the picture appears to be two lonely bull dozers, under a street light, illuminating the machines and the snow around them. The hills in the background are hardly seen because the clouds are low around them, almost like fog. Snow covers the ground, the mounds of dirt around the bull dozers, the trees upon the hills, the hills themselves, dumpsters and scraps of wood, and a small, shabby looking building in the left hand side of the picture. The electrical line leading to the lone light above the bulldozers seems to almost disappear as it enters the light, whereas before it was a contrasting line against the background of the foggy clouds. The bulldozers look abandoned, and the scene seems to be very quiet. You can imagine being there, outside when the snow starts falling, and all you can hear is a slight wind. Two more little lights appear by the low building, and large sections of dirt can be seen on the side of the mounds, giving the impression that the snow covering them is the first of the winter. This scene looks as if it were shot in my hometown, with the snow covered hills. It reminds me of a spot by an old mine where kids would go to get scared at night with the stories of a ghost miner who is only visible by the miner cap light on his head.

2 comments:

Korin said...

This picture is very interesting. I noticed that a lot of the photographs were black and white on this site, but sometimes it’s more appropriate. I liked how you described them as ‘lonely’ because that’s exactly what I thought as well. Usually, it seems, to convey loneliness or sadness, the pictures are done in the rain or even at night. When it comes down to that, black and white is the best way to convey it.

Anonymous said...

As I scrolled down your blog I saw a picture from the move "Cars". Then I came to this observational post on the bulldozers. When I saw the two bulldozers I imagined them playing like a brother and a sister in a sand box. Don't ask me why because it just came to me. I liked how towards the end you told a story about something you remember from your childhood.