Sunday, April 1, 2007

Reflection

The first reflection I had about this photo came to me the first time I saw it, and that thought was about “tractor tipping” from the Disney movie Cars. It made me laugh because I could see the scene from the movie where Mater and Lightening (two characters from the movie, for those of you who haven’t seen it) go out into a field in the middle of the night, where the tractors are all sleeping, and then they proceed to honk in front of the tractors to startle them awake, and then they fall over, helpless. It was a comical scene and a great parody on the sacred art of cow tipping, which small town people like me find greatly amusing. It is funny how we use inanimate objects, like the tractors and cars in the movie, to tell stories. It is as if we can’t use human figures to portray life lessons learned through mistakes and heartache. The thing is that it seems we need to use objects that normally are not personified to teach children because they could never believe the lesson if actual people were experiencing the situation. People are seen as incapable of learning a lesson or bettering themselves, we have been changed to look as though we are only selfish and stubborn. We don’t want to change for anyone or anything, unless it benefits our self. What kind of message is this to kids?? Even though it is funny to watch motor vehicles play pranks on each other and parody our every day events, it may not be the best way to show children how to treat each other, because they don’t see people treating each other that way, just cars.

3 comments:

BreannaVogt said...

Cars was a great movie. It is quite ironic how much your original photo looks like the tractor tipping scene in the movie. The idea of tractor tipping was creative and quite funny! I have never been cow tipping but many people have talked about their experiences!

JennyChavez said...

I was going to write about the same image so I understand why you picked it. I felt like the two cars are having a conversation. I agree with you about using humans to allow children to learn an important lesson. Like you said by using cars the kids see the lesson to be far from reality. It is cool that this image made you think of the movie cars because I would have never thought about that on my own.

RachelKrier said...

This is so great. I am a big fan of the movie and think you have a great reflection from the photograph of the tractors. It is interesting to think about the lessons how you proposed, which I suppose you did your job in writing a reflective post as it is instigating thought. Good job!