Sunday, April 22, 2007

True Fan vs. New Fan



As a little girl, some of my best memories are four wheeling through the mountains with my dad, listening to country music. I have always loved country music, because I feel that, at least to me, it speaks to so many people in all kinds of situation, and I have always held the belief that if you want to say something important to someone, you should say it with a country song. Moving to Denver, I was excited to take advantage of places like The Grizzly Rose, which is one of the best country dance clubs in America. They have a great setting for intimate concerts with some of my favorite country artists, and a fairly large dance floor. Going to this place though has caused more irritation lately than fun. First off, every one there on Sundays, which used to be the only night for anyone under the age of 21, line dances. I feel like line dancing is an excuse to not learn how to really dance with a partner, and the kind of people there doing the dances confused me. Country music has a growing fan base these days, but new fans tend to only pay attention to new and somewhat different country artists that I, and other older fans, have a hard time as classifying as true country music. Its frustrating to see when a Merle Haggard song is played, no one wants to dance because they don't know it, but as soon as Rascal Flatts is played, they know every word. I should be happy that my kind of music is more popular tha ever right? So why am I so frustrated with ignorant new fans who all of a sudden claim to be country because they bought a Kenny Chesney record?

No comments: