Sunday, February 25, 2007

The History of the Button

The History of the Button” proved to be one of the most interesting blogs I have seen in a while. A blog completely devoted to discussing the button sounds fairly boring and uninteresting, but as I started looking over the site, I found that the posts were rather intriguing and kept my attention. The blog was very easy to maneuver through, with the articles posted in the order of time, meaning the most recent posts appear at the top, and then as you move down, earlier posts can be read and seen. On the right hand side of the screen, there is a list of the most recent posts about the button, and below that is an archive section for each month, and even further down is a section of categories, so you can find posts about buttons in different contexts. On the left hand side are only three links, Home; FAQ; and Email. It is a simple layout that makes the site easy to navigate.

The author of “The History of the Button” uses the color blue to denote links to comments, categories, archives, and different posts. This makes it easy to see what a link is and what is not, and the same color keeps the reader from being confused about what a different color might mean. The images used in each post show the different buttons being discussed so the reader can see what is being talked about and doesn’t have to use their imagination too much. Simple colors like white, grey, blue and black make the site easy to look at and the text easy to read.

The History of The Button is interesting because the posts on the site discuss how buttons have evolved through the ages, and the interaction design behind buttons. But the site is not just about buttons, but also about the technology and new gadgets, how we perceive and interact with buttons, and what the evolution of buttons means for the future. An example is that one of the posts discusses the new Apple iPhone, with its lack of buttons and touch screen technology. They also discuss the icons on the buttons and how we take each icon to mean.

Layout wise, The History of the Button blog is set up pretty similarly to my own, with the posts in chronological order and with the images embedded in the posts. The links on the side of the page also match up with the links on my blog. My color scheme is bit more extreme that the one found on the Button blog, but both are still easy to read, at least I think so. The History of the Button blog does have a great deal more posts than me, different links, and advertisements. It also contains an image with its title of a woman in the fifties pushing a button, but other wise it is organized the same way as my blog essentially.

A very interesting blog was what I discovered when I had to check out The History of the Button, and I had a fun time browsing the site and learning about the button.

4 comments:

Liz Benton said...

That is a rather interesting title for a blog, “The History of the Button”. I am not going to lie though, it is an intriguing title though. I liked your explanation of the blog, it made it very simple to understand what you were talking about and painted a good picture of what the blog looked like before I actually clicked on the hyperlink. You employed a very good use of word choice throughout the post which made it very easy to follow. I think it is kind of odd that there is a blog dedicated to buttons and their history and whatnot.

Genevieve Marquez said...

I agree with Liz; very nice title.I loved that you wrote in your blog that the “History of the Blog,” was not about the buttons that are on your coat, but rather about the ones that are on your cell phone or Ipod. If you hadn’t had wrote that I wouldn’t have known. I also liked how you put examples and the accessibility of your hyperlink. I think that it was your writing that made it so easy to read and follow. I love your writing! Good Job ‘Lil’ Buddy!!!”

Analisa said...

You’re right, when I found out about this blog, I was thinking, great. This ought to be fascinating. But then like you, I discovered the true meaning and mystique that DeRouchey develops and uses throughout his blog. For some reason, it does keep your interest, maybe it’s because I have never really thought about buttons that far in depth. It isn’t something that a normal person would wonder about, but now that I know about it, I will probably spend more time contemplating and analyzing different symbols and their progression to all areas of technology.

Nga Le said...

Hey, I was also assigned the same blog as you. I also found this blog very interesting and fun to read. I had similar conclusion as you did. I believe that the author used good judgments in colors. They were all neutral colors, blue being one of the main color and because of that, the blog was very easy to read. The color contrast between the background color and the text worked well together therefore it didn’t strain my eyes at all. Its interesting how much one can talk about a button and how important button is in our lives. Now that I think of it, everywhere I go, I’m surrounded by buttons! Well good job analyzing the blog!