Sunday, January 28, 2007

Cultural Contexts of MySpace

2) Consider the same website you chose in question 1. List all the cultural contexts (who, what, when where, & why) of the site you need to recognize in order to understand the content fully. Does the fact that one may not comprehend all the references effect the overall message?

Culturally speaking, MySpace seems to be operable by almost anyone. It’s who is virtually anyone, what is to bring people closer together and make new friends, where is the internet, or anywhere in the world for that matter, when is today, this day in age, and why is because humans have the basic need to connect to other. We are social creatures.
MySpace uses simple language, big, bright, bold links to useful operations such as music and videos, and there are usually directions telling you how to use these tools. The older crowd may have a more difficult time navigating and utilizing the site because it does require some knowledge of technology. I know my grandmother has a hard time understanding how to use her email sometimes. For the younger generation, who learns quickly and is born into a world bound by technology, MySpace is easy to figure out. The majority of people on MySpace are between the ages of 16 and 24, I would guess. Once in awhile you stumble across older people on the site, like my best friends dad, but they seem to have an understanding of the technology and purpose of the website. The website is aimed at all cultures and races, so that really doesn’t become a factor. The language is not upper class suburban or slang, but simple, easy English.
MySpace really speaks out to younger kids also because of its focal point, to connect with other people and show off your own style. With so many options for your page, such as music, backgrounds, pictures, graphics and text, you can really express who you are on this site. You need to recognize a need to be different and expressive to really use MySpace to your advantage. You also need to recognize the tools to connect with your friends, such as messaging and instant messaging. Knowledge of basic instant messaging and emailing is essential to use these functions on MySpace, therefore you need to at least have access to a computer and know how to use it.
Where you are using MySpace from should not matter, it was created for all languages and nations, and I have personal experience with an international user. My friend Anna from Germany just found my page and we have been contacting each other almost daily through the site. It can be put into different languages, so it is not something that is strictly limited to English speaking countries. The site has probably bridged gaps the previously existed between different countries. In a sense, it’s made the world a little bit smaller.
Why you would use MySpace is easily recognizable, and someone would have to know that before they started on the site. It is because of a universal want to connect with people. It’s a basic need. If someone did not understand all of the references would not affect the overall message of MySpace. The headline of MySpace is “A place for friends.” What clearer message is there?

3 comments:

Nga Le said...

Hey, hmmm...well I have to confess, I am one of the few people out there that does not have a MySpace. Yes, I am part of the very small percentage of the population that does not have a MySpace. Every single of my friends own a myspace and they dedicate a lot of time on it, which is why I refuse to get lure into it. I try to dedicate most of my free time to volunteer work aside from all the school work. Althoguh I have to confess... I have visited MySpace many times, and I find a lot of people very interesting and fun to read about. The pictures that some people post up are also pretty awesome. I guess it's just not the thing for me. I agree with you the "MySpace really speaks out to younger kids" because all my younger siblings and relatives own their own page. For that reason, it freightens me that it can also be use as a dangerous tools for kids to be using; especially if potential harmful strangers are able to view their page since not all young kids set their page as private. Anyways, you did a wonderful job writing about your thoughts on MySpace. Your explanation about how it works and what can be found on it is also very well written. Great Job!

Genevieve Marquez said...

Erroneous! Erroneous! Just kidding Chels. I knew that I was a total “Myspacer,” when I found myself checking to see who was contacting me, EVERYDAY! I know you know what I mean. I feel that the way you described Myspace, is perfect. Myspace is directed towards a younger crowd. I also found that when you said, there are those few “older” people that have an account; I can totally agree. For Example: I will get these messages out of know where from them wanting to be my friend and I get totally wierded out, because I think Myspace is for a younger generation…not the generation my dad grew up in. So Overall, I feel that your piece was very well written and keep up and the good work. Ten-Four, Good buddy!

Anonymous said...

I love your title for your blog. I think it is very creative. I just want to say that I don't have a MySpace. I have never been there nor do I ever want to go there. I feel like it was the worst thing ever invented. Just because so many young boys and girls are falling into the traps of the many sexual preditors out there. All I have to say is that the world is a dangerous place. Everyone needs to be safe!